Thursday 31 January 2013

Aspiring Textual Failure

Currently in the process of attempting another novel, yes folks yet another aspiring writer! 

I have started so many over the years, but between poor planning and inefficient time management I have never really 'made it' so to speak. Plus the popularity of E-reader's have allegedly made it more achievable
I have been an avid reader for years now.. (decades make me sound too old!).. I remember the despair at the poor choice of teenage novels and hence my jump to adult fiction at an early age. 


My first fantasy find was Anne McCaffrey's Pern series, followed by David Eddings and Robert E. Fiest. These were my first books judged by their covers and the artwork was always so ethereal and exciting. I am officially a girl who loves her fantasy, but I also made time for Wilbur Smith's epics and Clive Cussler's action adventures
I loved the escapism of different times and planets, even just meeting new characters living a life so different to mine. I was also an awful book hoarder.. (love being able to use the past tense!).. but there has been a recent relocating of nearly 2000 books from the boxes filling my cupboard to charity shops. E-books are easier to store, both my floor space and my floor joists have shown a massive improvement!

Children these days really don't know how lucky they.. (my old age creeping in again!).. fantasy fiction for teens has really taken off, reading is 'cool' again. Harry Potter and Percy Jackson have no doubt played a part in this..(Yes I've read them all!).. they have such a wide range to chose from, and this is were I see my self fitting in. 
My modesty knows no shame, yes it's ridiculously hopeful, but the dream is nice. I've never wanted to see my name in lights.. (though I wouldn't refuse the chance!).. but I would like the chance to make the people who love me proud.

The problem with this whole thing is that it is entirely dependent on me. No excuses; I am lazy and I am easily distracted. I would love to blame it all on my children, but I know the truth. In reality though I wonder if there's room for another teenage fantasy writer before the latest popularity fades. There's a great chance that this book will never make it past half way, what I really need is a healthy dose of determination and enterprise... Fingers crossed :D

No comments:

Post a Comment