Wednesday 26 June 2013

Comfy Camo Coat Review

With the disintegration of my last coat I was forced into making a choice from fashions latest offerings. Some of which were, to my mind, an awful choice. Finding something to suit a tall curvy woman is always a struggle, especially when the 5'10" female in question is the very wrong side of 11 stone (feel free to read 12 stone.. I'm happy lying to myself!).

Refusing to wear cropped coats or gilet style versions (Seriously, I live in Scotland its too cold.) and wanting to avoid the 90's 'puffa jacket' quilting, my options appeared to be getting more lurid and 'quirky'. Taking the 'nod to the past' to the extreme of re-hashing previously dreadful taste and packaging it with all retro fashion faux pas possible. In the end I settled for a mid length jacket, with an all over camouflage print, a departure from my normal taste of +Trespass style jackets or my trusty denim number.


Described as a 'military jacket featuring all-over camo print with a zip and popper fastening to the front with a worn length of 33 inches'. Part of the 'So Fabulous! ' range from +Very  and retailing at £45, though similar versions are in almost every shop, camouflage print is very hip and on trend. The length at the back from the bottom of the collar to the hem is 32.5 inches and the armpit to wrist is 18.5 inches.

The jacket length was surprising, on me it looked pretty good (modesty!). Unfortunately the sleeves feel a little short, but rolling them up or teaming it with a hoody works well, failing that... just don't stretch!
I have to be honest I really wasn't sure what to expect, but needs must and the deed was done, so to my mind I had no choice but to make it work.

I rejected the recommended outfit of skinny jeans or leggings ( not with these thighs!), and stuck with the normal baggy/ flared jeans. I was quite surprised how well the outfit looked, the coat was casual enough to work as a light winter coat or a heavy summer coat, ideal for Scotland's mixed up weather.

Perhaps a touch grunge/ punk in style for most people but I have been reliably informed the 90's 'rock' scene is back in fashion. Still trying to work out what the current designers counted as rock back then, especially since I really though this was more of a 'Garage' or 80's punk garment.

The primary drawback could be considered to be the lack of hood, but this actually made it more appealing to me as I never use a hood any way, preferring to rely on brightly coloured hats. The collar sits up or down depending on how rock you want your outfit to look. Although the jacket isn't water proof, the heavy fabric and inner lining make it at least shower proof.
The plastic jewels on the pocket flap add a cute talking point (plus an added extra; it comes with replacement parts), though I'm more a badge person, I still like the difference they make to the jacket.

 The hidden drawstring allows for a more adaptable waist line and the full length zip and stud fastening is continued in the stud press shoulder epaulettes. The breast pockets are big enough for a wallet or a normal phone and the bottom pockets can easily hold all my junk, meaning no handbag required.

Despite initial reservations I really am sold on the functionality of the jacket. Its comfortable and roomy (just in case my diet doesn't pan out ..again!) and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone. Great for all the festivals and on trend for this Summer, its nice to be fashionable, even if I know its only for little while.


No comments:

Post a Comment