Monday 18 August 2014

Stay at Home Mum to Funtioning Team Player

Those of you who may know me might be aware that I live predominately online, as if this wasn't noticeable by my blogging and networking sites. However I have in recent months dipped my toe in the murky waters of reality.
A common issue for most stay at home mothers is the inability to have an adult conversation. Warning signs include talking at length to charity collection people (because its often the only adult conversation you will have for days!) and shouting at over excited presenters of children's TV. Realistically a little part time employment was in order before I completely regressed into singing Cbeebies theme tunes and making sentences from alphabet letters.

I live in a little touristy town in Scotland, Lanark has a populace of around 8000, and is cosily nestled in the Clyde Valley. Which allows for beautiful scenery and Scotland's usual confused weather system. As my mini me's are still in school, I was only looking for local part time work. Anyone searching for a local job, will sympathise with me on how hard it can be to find something suitable. It took a while, and quite a few rejections before my ideal position appeared.

Ensconced in a warm environment and surrounded by cake, it was just under a miles walk. Now no job interview would be complete without a trauma, and mine was highlighted the night before when after multiple phone calls it turned out that no-one I knew had a fully functioning printer with which to print the all essential Curriculum Vitae. Therefore I undertook what any sane person would do: legged it to Argos to buy one, half an hour before the shop closed. Fine in theory, but in practice; three unhappy children, pouring with rain and an unexpectedly heavy box to haul home.

Obviously it paid off, and I've now been with my current gainful employment for over a year. It's fair to say that not a lot has changed, the workplace still seems to be an extension of high school with its clichés and stereotypes. Its also fair to say that I still fall through the cracks, being of no fixed abode in the standard groupings. Not that this has harmed me at all, in fact I believe it might have improved my standing. I don't have firm friends so work is accomplished quicker and the lack of gossiping is frankly a godsend (I still lack the tact to manage 'girly' without frustration).

I have seen staff come and go, some outstaying my personal limits and some taking the team spirit when they left. It never really occurred to me what a fine balancing act building a team for the workplace was, and how even the most annoying people can play a part in making everyone happier and more productive. The strength of leadership is a good indication of the performance of the team work, people need a sense of reward and accomplishment. People also need to know when to curtail complaints and deal with the matter in hand, therefore universal common sense is a stronger factor.

The must essential factor involved in a public service industry is not that the customer is always right (a common misconception, sometimes they are simple crazy!), it is the all important smile. We expect a warm welcome and a simple smile can convey that warmth and welcoming manner better than any other. Ignore that the shop closes in 10 minutes, they are never wasting your time. A single smile can encourage repeat custom and is often the first think commented on in future word of mouth conversations.

The transition wasn't as hard as expected, I was never lucky enough to indulge in lie-ins, and with three my day could be pretty scheduled and hectic. Work brings a different set of anguishes and trials to being a Stay at Home mother, but they are very transferable skills. Sometimes you still feel like the only sane person in the room or the nominated first aider, and sometimes you are still refereeing. But if you smile and try your hardest to help and support, you eventually begin to get a sense of achievement. Hopefully the end result in either case is contentment.

2 comments:

  1. LOL, well said....do your work mates read this?

    ReplyDelete