Tuesday 8 October 2013

October 2013 ~ Images of Scotland

This month I decided to further explore my capabilities and try for the artistic shots often viewed in galleries. In the hope of improving my stance as a successful amateur photographer, I did what any 'amateur would do; Sepia. Feel free to laugh, because as someone with a great love of colour and shading why this was my route is honestly a complete unknown. Lesson was truly learnt, but in the process there were a couple of colour drained images that did hold a certain appeal. Hence I will inflict them upon my valued reader in the hope of pointers and constructive criticism.

The bliss of these two houses, nestled on the outskirts of an open field. Neighbours across a single track road yet their privacy protected by a barricade of trees. A quaint and idyllic view for dog walkers and those enjoying perambulations.




This was the only repeatable sepia shot I managed, a small lane behind a school. At one point shining and black tarred, now thoroughly explored by tree roots and erosion. A surprisingly busy thoroughfare, it is a short cut used by all ages for decades now.


 I believe this camera setting is quaintly know as 'Vintage', and is used to depict the foot path in the afore mentioned field. Please not the increase in colour as my patience for the detailing required for black and white decreases. I find the image quite satisfying, with the eye being drawn up the path to the bright blue skies and a promise of adventure over the hills.


The deep blues and almost violet shades in this image call strongly and add a depth to the tumultuous clouds. I find the shading of the evening sky to be quite appealing when set against the backdrop of a silhouette.
This is almost the same image barring the rose tinting to the clouds, and gives a lighter shading overall. I love that you can see the hint of blue sky and the sun vainly streaming through the gaps in the cloud.
In this image the yellows prevail and soften the picture further. The lightening of the clouds adds a sense of height and space, and the silhouette is softened by allowing the angle to include foliage.

Three pictures taken within ten minutes of each other, serving to showcase the range of lighting and colour involved in a mere sunset. Although my explorations with the absence of colour may have been shelved temporarily, I believe that I can achieve much more. I am hesitant to claim gallery status, however I hope I can achieve images that I am pleased with in the future. After all we are all our worst critic and biggest enthusiast.

No comments:

Post a Comment